Monday, August 16, 2010

How can I improve my PCs deteriorating internet speed?

I am currently with Tiscali %26gt;4MB, but recently I only seem to be getting around 0.8MB, at peak times. It is also now affecting online PS3 gaming.


My computer is fairly new and has no known viruses. I have tried defrag and deleting temporary internet files but it is still the same. I am thinking of switching ISP, will this help?


What would you recommend I do?


Cheers.How can I improve my PCs deteriorating internet speed?
First you need to check if its your PC or your provider.


Gather all the information such as timestaps when the speed is slow and other times when you feel the speed is normal or faster, also run speedtests, and try to relate the data gathered if it is slow evenings, nights, afternoons etc


uninstall any non essential programs from your PC, as you havent told what OS you use cant help you much on that front.





start the pc in safe mode with networking and see if the speed makes any difference, if it does then some software/virus is clogging up all the bandwidht





Switch off your PC and use PS3 online gaming and see if it makes any difference.





If you are very far from the Telephone Exchange, changing provider will not make much difference, unless you use cabled services from virgin or any other provider





cheersHow can I improve my PCs deteriorating internet speed?
Big question is how are you measuring that speed??





Goto http://www.speedtest.net/ run several tests to different servers, over several days and at different times, to get an 'average'.


If it is below your expected result, contact you isp, tell them what you have done and the results and ask\tell them to fix the issue!! (They made a contract with you to supply a certain speed)





If you have high speeds\good results then the issue lies in your computer.
If your PC is so slow try other PC and compare the internet speed performance before switching of ISP. Maybe you have viruses or any other program that is consuming your band-with. Remember if your have wireless at home unsecured someone else could be using the your wireless line and make you go slow.
Give this test a try and make sure you wait to get both download and upload speeds.


I'm running a bit slow myself and i know what my answer is for my case and that is reinstalling windowa Vista and start from scrach again.


Most people reinstall after 2 years :)


have a good one
look i know everyones saying it but windows 7 , i just upgraded my laptop and now its ****** smokin fast . It really is very good and so easy to install fresh it finds all the drivers even the ethernet lan .

No comments:

Post a Comment