Wednesday, August 18, 2010

How do I get my PS3 online with a wired connection, but without a router?

I was wondering if it would be possible to get my PS3 Slim 250GB online without the use of a router, but by using an ethernet cable connected directly from a port in my computer, which is then connected to my PS3. My internet connection is a wireless 3 usb dongle, but it does not produce a wireless signal for my PS3 to connect to (much like a router). I have attempted the following:


-connecting the dongle directly to a PS3 usb port (my PS3, predictably, did not recognise the device);


-connecting an ethernet cable directly to my PS3 and PC (the PC mentioned sending numerous ';packets'; and receiving 0 packets, whereas the PS3 failed to connect completely at any point during my attempts, and I have my suspicions that the computer was trying to establish an internet connection FROM the PS3, rather than to establish an outgoing one TO the PS3).


Please could someone in-the-know help me? All of the above would probably be my limit of understanding when it comes to computing (I'm a n00b), so I would be greatful if your reply contained little to no jargon (although I could always look any up on Wikipedia).


Anyway, thank you in advance.How do I get my PS3 online with a wired connection, but without a router?
Connect your computer to your modem as you normally would, and make sure it has a good internet connection. Now, you'll need to connect the computer to the ps3 with a CROSSOVER ethernet cable. More than likely, you have a straight-through ethernet cable, not a crossover. This is the biggest issue. Once you get yourself a crossover cable (from any electronics store, ie. best buy or radio shack), plug it in to both computer and ps3. On your computer, you'll need to go into the Control Panel %26gt; Network Connections. Right click your wired LAN connection and choose properties. Move to the advanced tab and turn on Internet Connection Sharing. Now your PC will correctly share your internet to your PS3.

No comments:

Post a Comment